Paperback, 636 pages
Year of publication: 2000
'Come seek us where our voices sound,
We cannot sing above the ground,
And while you're searching, ponder this:
We've taken what you'll sorely miss,
An hour long you'll have to look,
And to recover what we took,
But past an hour - the prospect's black,
Too late, it's gone, it won't come back.' -p.402-
Harry Potter started his fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Yet it is not a Harry Potter without a grand adventure. For more than a century, the Triwizard Tournament was forgotten due to the high death toll...but not this year. Three biggest Magical Schools in Europe gathered at Hogwarts for this Tournament: Beauxbaton Academy, Drumstrang Institute and Hogwarts School. Three champions were supposed to be chosen from each school, but there were four champions to compete; Harry Potter was one of them.
I know that most of you guys have known the story of this book by heart, so I believe that I didn't need to give a long and boring flashback of the story ;p
For Harry Potter series, I consider this book to be the top climax, and the most complex Harry Potter book ever. Why? Of course I have my reasons:
- The return of the Dark Lord. That part was a massive part of the story in this book. Let's face it guys; the darkest, scariest, cruelest, and dumbest got his body back, complete with snake nose and red pupil! If that was not a climax, then I don't know what is.
- A bunch of big events: Quidditch World Cup and the scenes of terror, the Triwizard Tournaments and the three tasks (dragon, merpeople, and crazy maze with blast-ended skrewts), The Yule Ball, The death of Cedric Diggory and of course the return of Lord Voldemort.
- The beginning of sparks of love between the characters.
- A row in Harry-Ron friendship after Halloween until the end of the first task.
- The introduction of three Unforgivable Curses.
- Funny moments with Fred and George and Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes: Ton-Tongue Toffee, Canary Cream, Fainting Fancies, Nousebleed Nougats - and beginning of their carrier.
- The location of Hogwarts' Kitchen was revealed!!!
- A secret about Hagrid was exposed.
- What is pensieve? This object was also introduced in this book, and it will have a big part in the last book.
- A brief overview of Magical Politics and the Ministry of Magic.
- First death scene in the Harry Potter series.
- Brief appearance of James and Lily Potter.
You know what, I can actually go on forever if I don't stop myself, heheeee....because I think this book is just simply amazing! Needless to say that this is my fav book of the saga.
PS. This post is published as a requirement in:
- Hotter Potter RC
- Books in English RC
- Fantasy RC